Connect with us


London | Three people in ‘critical’ condition after stampede outside concert



(London) Three women were still in hospital on Friday evening in “critical” condition the day after a stampede at the entrance to a concert hall in London, where Nigerian Afrobeat singer Asake was performing.

Police were called on Thursday night after reports that a “large number of people were trying to break into” the O2 Academy in the south London area of ​​Brixton.

Eight people were taken to hospital, three of whom remained in “critical” condition Friday night, police said. These three victims are women aged 21, 23 and 33.

Once there, the emergency services discovered people with injuries attributed to the stampede.

“Officers provided first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation to members of the public,” London police chief Colin Wingrove told a news conference. About 4,000 people were present at the concert, according to this official.

An “urgent investigation has been opened,” police said.


The findings are continuing on the spot, said the police who will also study the numerous videos posted on social networks.

One shows “one of our officers apparently pushing a member of the public,” Colin Wingrove said. But that video has been analyzed and “there is no evidence of misconduct,” police said Friday night.

Another, showing “a member of the public assaulting an officer,” led to the arrest of that person, a woman, the official said.

Thoughts of the victims

According to the leftist tabloid DailyMirrorthe concert was canceled en route, to boos from the spectators, the team announcing on stage: “Three thousand people have forced the doors outside, and for security reasons we must put an end to the show “.

There are people who have forced the doors. They got inside and security is trying to deal with it,” the team repeated, struggling to be heard.

On Instagram, the 27-year-old artist sent his thoughts to the victims and said he prayed for them to get better “as soon as possible”.

The singer said he was “sorry” that his concert was interrupted and expressed his impatience to perform again in the city.

Just before his series of concerts in London, the singer had posted a message on Twitter asking people without tickets not to come to the O2 Academy.

Describing the facts as “extremely upsetting”, Commander Ade Adelekan, of the London police, called for good judgment in the videos shared on social networks.

Many of them show clashes between the crowd and the police.

“Where force has been used by police officers, those officers know they must be held accountable for their actions,” he added, adding that the police would use all the tools at their disposal in this regard, including the cameras carried by the police.

He also assured that “no police dog” was used. The police have appealed for witnesses.

“It is with great sadness that I learned of the horrific incident which took place last night at Brixton Academy,” Culture Minister Michelle Donelan tweeted.

“My thoughts are with everyone involved and their loved ones. Clearly there are questions that need to be answered about how this took place,” she added.

With a capacity of up to nearly 5,000 seats, this Art Deco style room opened in 1929.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *