(Washington) The online video platform YouTube announced Friday to end the suspension of Donald Trump, two years after the exclusion of the former American president following the assault on Capitol Hill.
“As of today, the Donald J. Trump channel is no longer subject to restrictions,” the American giant said on Twitter.
The Republican, presidential candidate of 2024, had been excluded from the social network in January 2021, while he was still in power, for having encouraged his supporters during the attack on Congress in Washington.
This unprecedented decision was imitated at the time by most mainstream social networks, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
To justify its decision, YouTube said on Friday that it had assessed “the risk of violence”, while taking into account the importance, for voters, of hearing “equally from major national candidates”.
Donald Trump had already been re-admitted on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram in recent months. He has yet to post a message on his accounts, however, communicating primarily through his own platform, Truth Social.